Monday, June 27, 2011

The Time Capsule Epiphany.

Hello Internet People,

I was visiting my house again today, long story (how can it not be) because I was also visiting "Miss. Tennishand" (my dentist), but this is not what I wanted to write about, I want to just share an observation I sort of suddenly had, almost a small epiphany. I have always tried to keep my house in a decent state, changed items as they got old, and regularly bought new things, but somehow as I have gotten older, so has obviously the things around me, there have been more and more things that I just did not change, some things I just liked too much I guess, and some things I did not change even when they looked really old because they still worked perfectly, and then it suddenly struck me as I now visited my own house, it has almost become a time capsule, a place where some rooms have been seemingly unchanged almost in decades, and this sort of have just happened around me, with me in the middle of it, without any real consciousness about it, and then I remembered having the same sort of feeling when I visited my grandparents homes when I was young, and now, it sort of has happened to me, maybe this in different degrees happens to everybody?

My home phone.
 (Everybody says that this is not supposed to work, but it does, it really does, I think even Antonio Meucci , the father of telephones, would have been impressed by this, and I really like my telephone corner.)

My telephone is an perfect example of this. Still all of these things, that I so much enjoy and appreciate, makes my house seem as a time capsule, and I suddenly saw it the way I guess visitors, and guests would, and I felt a sort of melancholic happiness, not sure I can describe it better, but all in all it was a good feeling, everything is so familiar, and since I have not changed anything, it must mean that I and my things had really sort of found each other, and found our almost perfect cohabitation's formula.

Anyway, best of rainy Mondays to you all,
and treasure your belongings no matter how old they are!
F.W.G

7 comments:

  1. Et følsesladet innlegg, får meg til å tenke på når jeg eventuelt blir gammel. Jeg er 28 år så det vil ta sin tid. Lol! Takk for å dele dine tanker rundt et ganske så interessant tema.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello FWG,
    I've just been catching up on some of your posts, very entertaining as usual :) I love your telephone corner! and especially the old sign beside it.. just in case people dont know I guess )
    Have a lovely week anyway sir!
    take care
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again FWG :)
    Ive just been catching up on your latest posts, glad to hear you had a good trip to Denmark :) I love your telephone corner! and especially the old sign beside the phone :) I understand what you mean though, I remember the same from my grand parents :)
    Well, have a lovely week anyway sir! and keep up the good work :)
    take care
    MVH
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your telephone, sir! It's just the kind of telephone I would love to have in my flat. I also love the sign that says 'Telefon'.
    I've always liked old things, I'm a somewhat nostalgic soul I guess, although I'm born in the 90s.
    I do have a green typewriter I use sometimes, altough only for special occations! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heisan Miriam!

    Takk for at du tenker!
    28 er i sannhet en ung alder, du har lang tid på å skaffe deg ting, både for og bytte ut, og beholde.

    Takk for pene ord,
    Ha en fin Onsdag!
    F.W.G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Alan!

    How are you doing?

    Have the best of weeks my friend!
    F.W.G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sunny!

    I remember those typewriters, they make an excellent sound when they are used!

    Thanks for sharing, and I hope you find a telephone sign.

    Best of Wednesdays to you!
    F.W.G

    ReplyDelete